Monday, August 3, 2009

Strawberry Ice Cream 'Sunday' and a Gift from the Tassimo Gods

'Tsk!Tsk!" I can hear it already before I even type what I am about to type. I made home made strawberry ice cream. That's not the bad part. I let my three year old eat it for breakfast. In my defense, I champion the Bill Cosby Chocolate Cake for Breakfast Theory. For those not in the 'know' on this theory - youtube it. You will not be disappointed. Anyhow, the ice cream has milk, is chockfull of fruit, and the amount of sugar matches the amount in many cereals or juices. I figured, what the hell, let him enjoy! I did, however, make sure he had an English muffin chaser. The verdict? My pickiest critic had a huge strawberry crusted smile while he finished the entire goblet. I guess that meant he enjoyed it! I admit I picked a little bit. The consistency was creamy and I had to let the ice cream thaw a bit before serving. I was so eager to make the ice cream, I didn't fully freeze the ice cream bowl. In spite of this, it did turn out pretty awesome. It tastes very similar to Blue Bunny Strawberry Ice Cream. I have Googled some low fat ice cream recipes, which I will share and try out on my own. My husband is allergic to anything termed 'diet' or 'low fat'. Here is the recipe I used, straight from the manual of my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.


Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream

3 cups fresh ripe strawberries, sliced and stemmed

4 TBSP of freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 1/2 cups of sugar, divided

1 1/2 cups of whole milk

2 3/4 cups of heavy cream

1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract


In a small bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Combine and allow to sit for 2 hours. When complete, strain berries and reserve the juice. Mash or puree half the berries.


In a mixer on low speed combine milk and sugar until dissolved (approx. 1-2 minutes). Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix. Add to FULLY Frozen ice cream bowl and follow instructions for your maker.


***Low Fat instructions, per Cuisinart***

Substitute lower fat creams, such as Half and Half, and Lower Fat Milks to replace the higher fat content in the ice cream. Bare in mind, the consistency and taste will differ because that fat content is lower.


And the gift from the Tassimo Gods, you ask? Skinny Cappuccino! It's about time! I don't really taste a difference from the regular Cappuccino, but I feel a little bit better about drinking it. It is my one vice every day and sometimes I NEED two of them.






No comments: