Friday, August 7, 2009

Attack of the Killer Calzones




My husband is a cheese fanatic. Me, not so much. Aside from pizza and Doritos, I don't touch it. But, far be it from me to deny my husband and kids the pleasure if they love it. Tonight was my first attempt at making calzones, which are my husband's favorite cheese dish(well, one of them anyway). I chose to use Mario Batali's Ricotta & Ham Calzone with some changes.
Here's my version of the recipe:

Ricotta Mozzarella ALL Cheese All the Time Calzone
1 can Pillsbury Crescent Creations dough
1/2 cup of Ricotta cheese
1/2 pound of shredded mozzarella
2 eggs
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil for the crust
Preheat oven to 400
Roll out the dough and divide into two even pieces
Mix together 1 egg and cheeses
Lightly flour the two pieces of dough
Spread a small bit of sea salt and pepper on both pieces of dough
Spoon the cheese and egg mixture in the middle of each piece of dough
Using your fingers, dab olive oil on the edges of the dough
Fold into half moon shape; Crimp the edges to seal ( I used a fork to make the 'lines')
Beat the remaining egg and brush on the outside of the calzone - this will help it turn a nice golden brown in the oven
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and serve with tomato sauce for dipping.
The verdict: My husband gave it a 9 out of 10. His only issue was the dough. It was flakier than the normal, handmade dough, so it didn't quite have the same effect as a regular calzone. I plan on making it again for him - next time with home made dough.
Just a side note - check out my Mom's vintage Corel dish. Don't ya just love it?

No comments: