Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It's Not Rocket Science(AKA Quick and Easy Bites)


Let's face it. Most of us have busy lives - homes,careers,families and hobbies. It leaves little time or energy to prepare meals made from scratch. As much as I like making huge, home-cooked meals, time just doesn't always allow me to do so. So, I figured I would dedicate today's blog to my favorite quick eats and kitchen staples.


The Easiest Pizza Ever (And Cheap, too!)
1 can of Pillsbury Dough Pizza Crust
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce (I used my leftover homemade sauce)
2 TBSP of Olive Oil
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese(part skim, low moisture)
Oregano to sprinkle on top
1/2 -1 cup of Hormel Mini Pepperoni

Preheat oven to 350. Roll out pizza dough on cookie sheet or pizza pan. Drizzle oil and spread with the back of a spoon on the dough. Spread pizza sauce with ladle, then add cheese and pepperoni. Sprinkle with oregano and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly.

This is a one of my favorite foods. I like making pizza at home because you can get creative with it. You can make it low fat using low fat cheese, diced peppers and onions and pre-cooked grilled chicken strips.

Bisquick is a Godsend. You can buy an economy size box at any bulk market chain. You can make pancakes,waffles and biscuits with just a few simple ingredients. All basic recipes are on the back of the box.



Simple Macaroni with Diced Tomatoes and Garlic Bread(Serves 4)

1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes

1/2 box of Ziti(8 -12 oz)

2 TSP of garlic powder(1 TSP reserved for bread)

1 TSP of onion powder

Salt & Pepper to taste

4 TBSP of Butter (1 per slice)

4 slices of Italian Style loaf bread

In a small sauce pot, add the tomatoes with 1 TSP of garlic, the onion powder and salt & pepper. Boil water and prepare Ziti until cooked.

Preheat toaster oven to 400 on toast mode. Butter each slice of bread then add a sprinkle of garlic and oregano. Toast carefully on rack ( do not use a pan) and remove when golden (approximately 10 minutes).


Ribs can be easy to make. Purchase either beef or pork ribs and slap them on the grill at about 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When they are close to being done, coat with BBQ sauce and continue to cook another 10 minutes. I prefer spicy sauce, but there are many different kinds. These are great paired with some corn on the cob or corn bread and some mashed potatoes.

I don't know about everyone else, but I am excited for fall. I am thinking ahead to apple picking (and apple desserts!) and crock pot meals.

No comments: