Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Stuffed French Toast(Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana)



This is a recipe that I found in Eating Well When You're Expecting. I initially made it only for my husband since I had no real appetite in the beginning of my pregnancy. I sincerely had never heard of stuffed french toast and usually just made it the traditional dip - the- bread -in- the -egg and drop- it -in- the- pan -way. This morning I decided to due a few variations on the recipe. The recipe I had incorporate raspberry preserves and fresh banana. I had no preserves on hand, so I made one batch with just bananas, and a second with peanut butter, chocolate and banana. You can use any kind of peanut butter and I used Ghiardelli Chocolate Chunks (60% Bittersweet Cocoa) for the chocolate part. As for the bread, you can use whatever type you have handy. This particular morning, I used Maier's Italian bread. The slices are pretty small, about the size of a Wonder Bread slice. Just remember to adjust ingredient sizes in accordance to the size of the bread you use. I used about 10 chunks of chocolate on the bread, but perhaps should have used less. The bread does have a tendency to get soggy, so watch how much chocolate you use. The banana only variation was perfect for breakfast and even better with some syrup. The peanut butter, chocolate, and banana variation was VERY rich. Extremely good, but heavy for breakfast. I could see this being eaten as a dessert, served with some fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Stuffed French Toast ( 1 serving) Banana Raspberry Variation
2 slices of bread
1 TBSP of butter
1 Egg
1-2 TSP of raspberry or strawberry preserves
1/2 -3/4 of sliced banana
1 -2 TBSP olive oil

Oil and heat pan on medium heat. Scramble the egg in a bowl. Butter 1 piece of bread on the inside. Spread 1 - 2 TSP. of preserves on bread. Top with banana slices and top with the other piece of bread. Coat the sandwich with the egg, making sure it is completely covered, especially on the sides. Cook in pan until both sides are browned and filling is warm.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Variation
2 slices of bread
1 egg
1 TBSP of butter
1 TBSP of peanut butter (any kind)
10-14 chocolate chips of chunks (see above for recommendations)
1/2 -3/4 of 1 banana
1 TBSP of olive oil

Follow the same directions as above, substituting peanut butter and chocolate chips for the preserves.

No comments: