Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Breakfast at Pillsbury's


It is simply amazing the gems you can find on the back of a Pillsbury wrapper. I was looking for some plain old pizza dough when I came across Crescent Recipe Creations. Curious, I inspected the tube to see if they had recipes to match the scrumptious picture on the labels and luckily, they did. Behold....the amazing Bacon-Cheese Tartlet!
Here's the recipe, but I must warn you, the dough was kind of a pain to work with....don't fret if you can't get the dough to stretch over the muffin pan grooves. I kept strecthing it over and it kept shrinking back. It made no difference! My husband ate 6 of them and refused to share with the kiddies.
Bacon and Cheese Tartlets
1 can Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations
1/3 cup shredded cheese - Swiss, Cheddar - whatever you love!
1/4 cooked chopped bacon ( I subbed turkey bacon)
1 TBSP chopped onion
1 Egg
3 TBSP whipping/heavy cream
Cut the dough into 12 square and gently press into mini muffin pan cups, shaping up and over the edges. Whip the cream with the egg. Spoon cheese into cups. Top with bacon and onions. Add a TBSP of egg mix to each cup. Add left over bacon and onions. Bake in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Remove and let cook for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
I fully intend to play around with this recipe to make it more low fat. I did not add cheese to mine, as I am not a cheese person. I subbed turkey bacon for regular full fat. I am going to try plain egg whites to see how it comes out, maybe subbing bacon with Morning Star forms sausage patties, crumbled. I also want to try and make pizza bites, using mozzarella and fresh tomato. Ahh, the possibilities!

No comments: