Monday, August 17, 2009

No Longer A Quiche Virgin



This is a totally new recipe for me. I needed to find a kid friendly recipe with protein, veggies and dairy and didn't want to go with the same old standard meals.





I figured,"Why not try quiche?".

I had to explain to my husband, AKA 'The Third Child', what quiche is. My explanation? "It's like an omelet in a pie crust. Try it, you'll like it." And like it, he did. So did my one year old daughter. My 3 year old son is still skeptical. He barely took a bite, alas his nick name of Sir Picky Pants. I made a full fat version, but I assume you can use skim milk and low fat cheese. I made a simple broccoli and mozzarella cheese quiche in a store market frozen pie crust. It took longer for me to bake than the 30 minutes indicated - maybe about 50 minutes. I don't know if it was because of the oven, but it definitely took longer to firm.



Easy Broccoli Quiche (allrecipes.com)

2 TBSP Butter

1 onion, minced

1 TSP minced garlic

2 cups chopped fresh broccoli

1 9 inch unbaked pie crust

1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese

4 eggs, well beaten

1 1/2 cups of milk

1 TSP salt

1 TBSP butter, melted



Preheat oven to 350. Over medium low heat, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add onions, garlic and broccoli. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender. Spoon veggies into crust and sprinkle with cheese.

Combine eggs, milk and seasoning. Stir in 1 TBSP of melted butter. Pour egg mixture over veggies and cheese. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until center has set.







No comments: