Sunday, August 9, 2009

Blue Berry Muffin Sunday AKA 'The Stuffed Muff-Cake'


Today, I felt the need to make something somewhat healthy. I had some fresh blueberries (a new summer favorite of mine) in the fridge and I figured it would be a great morning for low fat muffins. I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the results. I did change the recipe a bit (naturally). I didn't have yogurt in the house, so I decided to get creative and substituted whole milk. Due to this, I had to add a little more flour to thicken the batter. I will include the original low fat recipe & add in the changes I made. I also added a little extra fruit. Why not?
The verdict: Pretty darn good! More like a muff-cake than a straight up muffin. The extra fruit filled the middle like a stuffed cupcake. The outer layer was soft and spongy, not as dry and crumby as a muffin usually is. All in all, the recipe gets a thumbs up!

Low Fat Blueberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups of flour ( I used extra, maybe about 1/4 to 1/2 cup - just eyeball it and bring it to a consistency you'd like)
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup non fat or low fat yogurt ( I subbed whole milk since I did not have yogurt)
2/3 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup fresh blueberries (I used more- made sure there were 3-4 berries in each - put them in the middle if you can move them around)

Combine dry ingredients and slowly add milk until blended. Fill in greased muffin pan or lined muffin pan, about 3/4 of the way. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until brown.
You can serve warm - the fruit is messy, but it was so yummy! Probably even better with some Light Cool Whip or ice cream on top. Makes 12 muffins.

No comments: