Friday, August 7, 2009

Best Bacon and Potato Dish Ever


Can you tell I love bacon? I am trying to be somewhat health conscious and use turkey bacon in these recipes to cut back on the fat. It's all about portion control, making small changes, and allowing indulgences every now and then. I do love to cook, so I am happy just to sample some of the heavier things I make for the family. I have to tell you, this is a great dish. It's

Giada's Bacon and Pancetta Potatoes

I made a few changes, but not too many.

Ingredients
6-8 slices of turkey bacon, roughly chopped
2 1/4 slices of pancetta, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
3 medium Russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 Garlic clove, sliced
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 tbsp of fresh thyme
2-3 tbsp olive oil

Heat large pan and add bacon and pancetta
Cook until crisp(10-12 minutes), remove and cover with paper towels to drain
Add olive oil - turkey bacon does not make as much oil as regular bacon, so you need to add enough oil to cook the potatoes and NOT burn them. You can also use PAM combined with at least 2 TBSP of olive oil. Season, then cook the potatoes and garlic in the pan for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. When cooked, add bacon and time to potatoes and cook for five more minutes. Remove and serve.

I inadvertently found a way to take more of the fat out of this side dish. I couldn't figure out which bowl I wanted to take the picture in, so I switched it three times. Each time I moved it, some of the oil stayed behind in the bowl :)

Verdict - So good that my son, Prince Picky Palate, loved it! The dish can be served with dinner (I had it with chicken cutlets) or as a breakfast side with some eggs, waffles or pancakes. I am currently hatching a plan to turn it into a creamy bacon potato soup for my husband.

No comments: