Wednesday, July 29, 2009

MMMM...Pancakes.....and Scallops. Just not together!



Today was a dreary, rainy day which sparked my need to cook and eat. I have been saying for awhile that I wanted to make a bulk batch of pancakes(the kids eat the frozen ones like they're going out of style). I also had some delicious fresh berries that would make a perfect addition to the batches. The trick to pancakes is using butter to grease the pan - remember, the first batch won't be perfect - but the second and the rest will be. Also, start off with high heat, then decrease. Here is a home made recipe, but you can never beat Bisquick!

Homemade Pancake Recipe


1 egg


1 cup of flour


3/4 cup of milk


2 TBSP of oil


1 TBSP of sugar


3 TSP of baking powder


1/2 TSP of salt




Mix the dry ingredient, then add the wet. Mix and let sit for about 5 minutes. When pan is heated, use a ladle to pour batter onto surface. Add sliced strawberries or whole blueberries to mixture. When top is completely bubbled, flip.


As far as fat and nutrition are concerned, I usually measure the calories according to the size of the pancake. One pancake, equal or slightly bigger than a DVD/CD, is around 110 calories and 3-4 grams of fat. When you grease the pan, use a spread that is lower in fat and cholesterol, like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. And of course, 'lite' syrup, like Aunt Jemima Lite.


For dinner, I decided we needed to eat more seafood. I made my husband's favorite, bacon wrapped scallops. I learned a trick at a fabulous seafood restaurant in Florida. To keep the scallops from becoming rubber, marinate them in milk for at least two hours before cooking.

To cut back on the fat, I used turkey bacon as the wrap, and surprisingly, my husband enjoyed them. I served them over angel hair pasta with a lite scampi sauce.

Bacon Wrapped Scallops

20 scallops

10 slices of turkey bacon, cut in half

1 clove of garlic, diced

1 TBSP I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

1-2 Cups of Angel Hair Pasta


Marinate scallops in milk and season with salt and pepper for 2 hours

Preheat oven to 325 and cook bacon for 8 minutes(I checked it at the halfway point and flipped the slices)

When done, wrap the slices around the scallops and secure with tooth picks

Cook scallops at 400 for about 10 minutes or until cooked through

In a pan, melt 1 TBSP of ICBINB and add chopped garlic. Add to cooked pasta and serve scallops on top

No comments: