Sunday, July 26, 2009

Can't Keep Away from the Sausage and I Am Shaking My Cupcakes At You!



Sounds dirty, right? Food wise, I guess it is, at least if you're on a diet. So, behold my latest recipe(which I did not de-fat) and the lovely, boxed and canned cupcakes and frosting I made for my 1 year old's birthday.





Roasted Peppers with Oricchette

1-2 Sweet Red Pepper
1-2 Yellow Peppers
1 LB Oricchette or short pasta
2 TBS Olive OIl
1 LB Sweet SAusage, casings removed
1 TBS butter
1/3 cup of grated parmesan

Heat broiler and place peppers in skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet
Broil 4 inches from heat, 15-20 minutes until charred
Transfer to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap - steam 2-3 minutes
Using a paper towel, rub off skins, reserving any juice in bowl
Cut peps into 1/4 inch strips and set aside
Boil pasta until al dente, drain and reserve 1/2 cup of water
Brown Sausage in olive oil, 6-10 minutes, then add peppers, heat through
Add mixture to pasta, with water,butter and parmesan. Toss and enjoy!!!

How to kick the fat from this? Try turkey sausage and cut down the olive oil, replacing it with OO PAM. I will do that on my next attempt. Tonight was about portion control and exercise. I did 35 minutes of high intensity cardio while watching Season 1 of The Secret Lives of the American Teenager. I swear I am going to weld my daughter's knees together when she becomes a teen.

Dessert was light whipped cream with strawberries,raspberries and blueberries. I'd rather a hot fudge sundae, but it was not bad. As for the cupcakes this week, my only tip is cut off the frosting top and give it to your skinny husband. Just eat the bottom!





No comments: