Thursday, October 8, 2009

I Love NY.....Cheesecake!

















Let me start off by saying this: I am not a cheese person. I like pizza and Doritos, but that is usually as far as it goes.  So you can imaging my surprise when I craved cheesecake during my pregnancy, and that craving never went away. Aside from anything chocolate, it is my 'go to' dessert when out to dinner. I had never made a cheesecake before and I decided that the more simple the recipe, the better. So, I researched and found a grass-roots NY style cheesecake recipe that only has a few simple ingredients. The taste - pretty great for a first attempt. There were some little cracks in the sides, but I found out that if I grease the sides of the pan, that probably won't happen in the future. My tip? Make extra crushed graham crackers to sprinkle on the top - the graham crust is our favorite part of the cheesecake.
NY Style Cheesecake 
Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, melted (I ended up using a little more)
1 1/2 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (I used original)
3 1/4 packages (8 oz. packages) cream cheese, softened
1 can 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300F. Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter; press evenly on bottom of 9 inch pie pan. In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add sweetened condensed milk, beating until smooth.Add vanilla and eggs, mix well. Pour into prepared pie pan.
4Bake for 1 hour, turn off oven but leave cheesecake in oven with door propped slightly open for an additional hour. Refrigerate at least 6 hours until firm.

No comments: