Thursday, September 10, 2009

MA, Meatloaf! Meatloaf!







What do you make when you buy one of those mega packs of ground beef at your local bulk superstore? Well, there's meatloaf...and meatloaf....and chili......and meatloaf..... Seriously, I only made it once last night, trying a recipe for BBQ Meatloaf, which is new to our household. I am not a big fan of meatloaf, but this was certainly passable. My husband said it was like eating ribs without the bone. I guess that's good! I paired it with steamed broccoli and buttered orzo. The kids were more into the orzo and "trees" than the meatloaf, even though I tried to convince my three year old it was a meatball. He was having NONE of that. I made a variation on the recipe provided by Tasty Meatloaf Recipes.

Barbecue Meatloaf Ingredients(Feeds 4)

1 LB -1.5 LBS of Ground Beef
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 TBSP of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 TBSP of garlic powder
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup barbecue sauce

Barbecue Meatloaf Recipe Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except barbeque sauce in a large bowl. Transfer mixture to a 5 x 9 inch ungreased meatloaf pan. Pour barbecue sauce over the tope of the meatloaf.
Bake meatloaf for 1 hour or until center is no longer pink. If using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature of the meatloaf should be 180 degrees.
Let meatloaf sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan to serve. You can serve with additional barbecue sauce if desired.

Steamed Broccoli and Buttered Orzo
1 Bag of Microwave Steam-able Broccoli or two bunches, cleaned, chopped and steamed
1 box of Orzo Pasta
3 TBSP of Butter
1 TBSP garlic powder
1TBSP grated Parmesan(optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Prepare pasta and steam broccoli. Combine with butter and spices. Enjoy!

I also used my bulk purchase to make quick and easy chili, paired with corn bread. I usually use the packets of chili mix/seasoning, to which you add about 1 LB of ground beef, packet, diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, along with red beans. This is a super quick and easy meal, not to mention yummy. I have a chili recipe that my step dad created to make it from scratch - I will save that beauty for one football Sunday. I used Penguin Foods Organic Cornbread mix for the cornbread and it is awesome! My son calls it "Mommy Cake" and has no idea it is somewhat healthy for him.






Coming Soon: My Adventures and Misadventures in Cookie Baking (AKA 'Why the Hell is My Frosting Pink?')

No comments: