Friday, September 11, 2009

Lazy Mama Baked Penne












Today's craptastic weather did nothing to spur my motivation to go grocery shopping. I still had to figure out what to make and pasta is always on the list of my 'go to' meals. I had a whole box of unopened Penne Pasta. Great! One can of Tuttorosso Tomato Sauce. A small container of ricotta cheese I mistakenly through in my shopping cart last weekend. What better thing to make with these ingredients than baked pasta? Well, lo and behold, the cheese situation was a bit sketchy. I only had about 1/4 bag of shredded Mozzarella, so I needed to improvise. I did have some shredded Parmesan, as well as greated. I figured I would just throw it together and hope for the best. The outcome? A big thumbs up from the family!  This can feed about 4 or 5 people and it took about half the time since it wasn't a big batch.

Lazy Mama Baked Penne
Ingredients
1 can (29 oz) of Tuttorosso or any canned tomato sauce (I used about 3/4 of this can)
1/4 bag of shredded Mozzarella cheese(part skim,low moisture)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 TBSP garlic or 1 diced garlic clove
1 TBSP onion powder
1 TSP basil
Salt & pepper to taste (start with 1/4 tsp and add as you cook sauce)
1 Box (16oz) of Penne Pasta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 450.
Boil  water for pasta. In a separate sauce pan, add tomato sauce and all spices. Stir intermittently.
When pasta is done, drain and hose off with cool water. Remove sauce from heat.  In a bowl, mix Ricotta, 1/2 the Mozzarella, shredded and grated Parmesan. Once pasta is cool, add to bowl with cheese. Once sauce has cooled, as to pasta and cheese. You can use you hands thourough mix sauce, pasta and cheese. Add a small layer of sauce to coat bottom of lasagna pan. Add pasta mixture to lasagna pan, topping off with the remainder of Mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve with garlic bread.

1 comment:

chow and chatter said...

nice and easy recipe and a great blog love the layout Rebecca